06212018Headline:

Minneapolis, Minnesota

HomeMinnesotaMinneapolis

Email Jenny Albano
Jenny Albano
Jenny Albano
Contributor •

Infant Critically Burned from Ignited 'Oxygen Hood'

Comments Off

An infant was critically burned when oxygen ignited inside the ‘oxygen hood’ worn by the infant. The newborn was lying in an open-topped bassinet underneath a warmer when the accident happened. The incident occurred at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids on Tuesday, January 22.

The baby was wearing an oxygen hood, a device that fits over the face to supply additional oxygen, when something caused the gas to ignite, the statement read. Nurses who were with the baby immediately put out the fire, Allina said. Authorities were investigating.

The child, who had been born three weeks early, had to be placed in the neonatal intensive care unit at Hennepin County Medical Center where he is being treated by doctors from the burn center.

Dr. Leslie Smith said the infant will probably survive. But he suffered second- and third-degree burns over nearly a fifth of his body, including his head, shoulders, part of his face and the tops of his hands, Smith said.

According to Smith, the baby. named Maverick, will be able to use his hands and fingers and should have a normal life. He was only 12 hours old when the incident occurred and he weighs 8 pounds.

The attorney for the family, who has not been named, says that right now the family is not considering legal action because they are just trying to focus on the healing of their son.

For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Medical Malpractice.