Six-year-old Abigail Taylor of Edina, Minnesota suffered a bizarre and tragic injury last week when she was trapped by a pool filter drain in a wading pool at the Minnesota golf club. The powerful suction of the pool drain was strong enough to suck out most of the young girl’s intestines, leaving her in critical condition. As bizarre and tragic as this pool injury incident is, it is not the first time someone has drowned or been injured due to being trapped or caught by a pool or hot tub drain.
Once such instance which received widespread media attention was the drowning death of 7-year-old granddaughter of Secretary of State James Baker, Virginia Graeme Baker. She was trapped on the drain of a hot tub, and despite her mother best efforts to remove her from the drain, she drowned. Her mother, Kathy Baker, later testified in Congress about pool safetly, and now works with a Washington based group called Safe Kids Worldwide to educate families and encourage industry to pursue higher standards of product safety.
For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Defective and Dangerous Products.