This past week, the Diocese of New Ulm disclosed 4 names of accused priests. The new names are really not new. They are names that they should have known earlier and that they should have disclosed. I found it interesting to look at the names that are not on their list.
– We know that the diocese, headed by Bishop John Nienstedt in 2004, had identified 12 priests accused of sexual misconduct with children in a report to U.S. Catholic Bishops. These are the lists of the credibly accused that the other Diocese in the state have disclosed.
New Ulm has not released their list.
– We know that there have been lawsuits against the Dioceses of New Ulm concerning at least two other Priests.
These are names where claims have been made and they aren’t on this new New Ulm list of the accused.
– We know that there was a list of 8 that came out of the deposition of Father Francis Garvey on January 24, 2014.
– Finally, looking at all of the disclosed lists there is an additional omission which is from the list of Archdioceses of Minneapolis and Saint Paul . Where is Robert Clark?
Date of birth: 6/28/1958
Date of ordination: 2/18/1984
Clark is a priest of another diocese who is alleged to have committed acts of sexual abuse of a minor outside of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. This archdiocese is not aware of any substantiated claim of sexual abuse of a minor asserted against Clark relating to any conduct that occurred in this archdiocese. Clark’s name has nevertheless been added to the archdiocese’s disclosure list in the interest of full transparency, to champion the Child Protection Protocols and Procedures first announced to the public on October 13, 2014 and to aid in healing for survivors who may reside in the archdiocese.
Clark’s assignment history:
- Associate Pastor, Holy Redeemer, Marshall, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1984-1984
- Associate Pastor, Holy Trinity, Winsted, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1984-1989
- Associate Pastor, Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, New Ulm, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1989-1990
- Pastor, St. Anthony, Watkins, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1990-1993
- Parochial Administrator, Our Lady, Manannah, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1992-1996
- Pastor, St. Patrick, Kandiyohi, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1996-1997
- Pastor, St. Thomas More, Lake Lillian, (Diocese of New Ulm) 1996-1997
- Administrative leave, 1997
- Religion Teacher, Saint Agnes High School, St. Paul, 1998-2002
- Administrative leave, 2002
Diocese or religious order: Diocese of New Ulm
Date permanently removed from ministry: Removed from active ministry on March 26, 2002
Current location: Mesa, AZ
Current status: Resigned
Date the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis posted this individual’s name on a list of those with claims of substantiated abuse against them: October 23, 2014
In total there are at least 12 names that should be on that list last week and very possibly more. These names have got to be disclosed.
Abuse of children and the continued silence by the offenders needs to be prevented. If you suffered, saw, or suspected such events, it is important to know that there is help out there.
A founding partner with Bradshaw & Bryant, Mike Bryant has always fought to find justice for his clients—knowing that legal troubles, both personal injury and criminal, can be devastating for a family. Voted a Top 40 Personal Injury "Super Lawyer" multiple years, Mr. Bryant has also been voted one of the Top 100 Minnesota "Super Lawyers" four times.