The Minnesota Department of Transportation has announced a weekend of major shutdowns:
Interstate 94 closure in St. Paul
I-94: Lanes in both directions will be closed between I-35E and Hwy. 280 from Friday night until 5 a.m. Monday. Crews from Xcel Energy will be moving power lines ahead of a project on Snelling Avenue that includes rebuilding the bridge spanning I-94. That project is scheduled to begin in May.
The recommended detour has drivers using I-35E to Hwy. 36 to Hwy. 280.
I-494: The northbound lanes between I-394 in Minnetonka and the I-94/694 split in Maple Grove will close at 9 p.m. Friday and remain closed until 5 a.m. Monday.
The southbound lanes will close at 10 p.m. Sunday and remain closed until 5 a.m. Monday. There also could be some temporary lane closures at other times during the weekend, the Minnesota Department of Transportation said.
Traffic will be detoured over to Hwy. 169, steering lots of extra traffic through New Hope, Golden Valley and Brooklyn Park.
keep in mind that work zones come with double fines.
Other safety tips include:
- Stay alert, expect the unexpected.
- Allow ample space between you and the car in front of you.
- Anticipate lane shifts – merge when directed to do so.
- Don’t change lanes unnecessarily.
- Don’t speed in work zones; obey the posted speed limits.
- Avoid using mobile phones while driving in work zones.
- Be especially alert at night while driving in work zones.
- Be patient!